It's now been a year since we left Michigan and moved back to the East Coast. Wow. Time really flies.
It's also been about a year since we lost our trunk cover. Grrr movers! We figured it was time to finally get a new one. However, with trunk covers being so pricey, hubby and I took the thrifty way out and and made our own. Here's what our trunk cover looks like:
It was really easy for us to design and hubby to sew. In case you find yourself missing a trunk cover (grr, movers!), check out the directions below.
- Two shower curtain rods
- Piece of fabric
1. Measure the two distances (across the trunk) between the pairs of holes where the original trunk cover rested. (These distances will determine what size shower curtain rods you buy.)
2. Measure the distance between the two holes on one side of the car.
- two shower curtain rods that will span the two distances across the trunk
- a piece of fabric that will span the distance between your two rods (with an extra bit to create tube "sleeves" for your poles)
4. Sew one tube "sleeve" to hold in one shower curtain rod. Place your sleeved rod into the car and use chalk to determine how to sew the next curtain rod. Then, sew your other tube "sleeve." Insert your second rod in your sleeve.
Then, voila. You've got your very own personalized trunk cover.
On the negative side, it won't be able to slide open and closed like your original one. However, on the positive side, it covers the items in your trunk and was made for a fraction of the cost