Designing a Zoo with Kids!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support! For my full disclosure policy, click here.
Designing a zoo is such an intriguing challenge. There are so many facets that go into building and running a fun (and safe!) zoo. We enjoyed this creative exercise because it was easy to set up, open-ended, and offered us a joint space to create together.
The Invitation:I offered my son an assortment of materials like plastic animals, pipe cleaners, plastic cups, chalk, and his nature collection (shells, acorns, and pine cones). I wanted the activity to be as enticing and inviting as possible. Here's what our creative table looked like:
The Challenge:Then, I issued him the challenge to create his own zoo. I placed the materials out in the morning and left them out all day so that he could go back and build/draw whenever inspiration hit.
The Discussion:As he created, we talked about ideas like:
- What certain animals eat
- Where certain animals live
- Which animals are considered dangerous
- Whether certain animals could live together
- Why it's important to have a bathroom for people
It was really neat to see how the zoo developed over time and to hear my son's thoughts. Kids really are so imaginative and thoughtful, aren't they?
I hope you try this activity out with your kiddos too! And if you're looking for some great picture books to go along with this activity, here are
Our 15+ Favorite Zoo Themed Books
- Dear Zoo
- Ida, Always
- How Machines Work- Zoo break!
- Where's Walrus?
- My Big Animal Book
- Goodnight Gorilla
- Color Zoo
- If I Ran the Zoo
- Edward the Emu
- 1, 2, 3 to the zoo
- My Heart is Like a Zoo
- Put Me in the Zoo
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear What do you hear?
More Preschool Zoo ActivitiesLooking for more fun zoo crafts and activities for preschoolers? Check out the links below from our favorite preschool-loving bloggers!!
- Recycled K-Cup Lion Craft | Artsy Momma
- Giraffe Finger Puppet Craft | I Heart Crafty Things
- Who Lives in the Zoo Sorting Tray | A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Zoo Creative Drawing Ideas | Hand Made Kids Art
- Z is for Zebra Alphabet Craft | School Time Snippets
Happy creating, friends!