Did you know that the heart is my favorite shape? (Is it weird that I have a favorite shape?) I know that triangles and hexagons are super trendy right now, but I'm an old-fashioned romantic. Hearts will always have a special place in my... well heart. (Tee hee hee.) So when Plaid sent me a box of Apple Barrel Craft Paint to create a Valentine's Day School Craft, I knew that it had to be heart related.
So I came up with these Cereal box Heart Glasses and Heart Painted Rocks. Both crafts are super colorful and fun to make.
Cereal box Heart Glasses
Keep reading to see directions and template!
Materials to Make Heart Shaped Glasses:
- Plaid Apple Barrel Paint
- Template (see below)
- Cereal Boxes (or cardstock)
- Exacto Knife
- Cutting Mat
- Pipe Cleaners
- Paint Brushes
- Cellophane Paper
Directions to Make Heart Shaped Glasses:
2. Cover your work area. Paint your glasses. (I was really inspired by the variety of colors sent to me. They were all so beautiful and the paint went on so smoothly. Plus, the paint dried pretty quickly, so I was able to paint a bunch of them in one night. )
3. Use your exacto knife to cut a slit on each side of your glasses.
4. Now cut a pipe cleaner in half. Push one pipe cleaner through one slit and twist it to secure it. (Make sure the pointy bit at the end is bent so that it won't scratch your face.) Repeat this procedure with the other side.
5. Bend the pipe cleaner ends so that they fit over your ears.
6. To create colored lenses, trace around your saved heart piece onto colored cellophane. Be sure to trace a slightly bigger heart shape. Cut the heart out and then tape it to the back of your glasses.
Tada! Now you've got yourself a bunch of cute and personally decorated heart shaped glasses.
Super cute, right?
Chuck really loved wearing the ones with the colored lenses.
Now, onto the second heart craft! After seeing Color Me Kate's Painted Heart Rocks, I knew that I had to try this out for myself.
Painted Heart Rocks
Materials to make Painted Heart Rocks:
- Plaid Apple Barrel Paint in assorted colors
- Small paint brush
- Rocks (Washed and dried)
Directions to Make Painted Heart Rocks:
2. Once your background color dries, paint your heart in the middle of each rock.
That's it! Chuck and I are going to place these lovely rocks around our building (or neighborhood... if the weather gets warmer) on Valentine's Day. We're hoping it'll bring a smile to people's faces.
If you'd like to learn more about Plaid's products, you can check out Plaid's Blog, sign up for weekly tutorials and deals, or follow Plaid's Pinterst board.