Inspired by Carl Sagan's quote, "We are made of star-stuff," I painted this galaxy umbrella:
On the outside the umbrella is black. But open the umbrella up and wow, you're now standing under a galaxy full of twinkling stars. Let's get crafting!
Materials Needed to Paint Umbrella:(*Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a small commission for every purchase at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.)
- Black Umbrella
- Painter's tape
- Craft Paint (I used black, red, yellow, blue, and white)
- White fabric paint (I used the bottle because it had a nice tip to draw stars)
- Fabric Medium
- Stick for stirring
- Palette (or crapty styrofoam plate)
- Paper towel
- Inspiring photo of the universe
Steps to Make Galaxy Umbrella:1. Cover the umbrella's ribs with painter's tape.
2. Make your fabric paint. Not sure if you have this problem, but I own a ton of craft paint and very little fabric paint. So instead of buying different bottles of fabric paint, I bought one bottle of fabric medium to turn my craft paint into fabric paint. (Wow, right? Oh Martha, you crafty minx! What will you think of next?) Following the bottle's directions, I mixed the fabric medium and the craft paint together to make black, blue, purple, red, yellow, and white fabric paint.
3. Use a dry sponge and a piece of paper towel to dab the different colors on. (I tried starting with my darker colors first and then adding on my lighter colors... but then ended up using darker colors again.... so just play around and have fun with it.)
4. Once you're satisfied with how your background looks, use your white fabric paint to paint stars. (I liked using the bottle because it had a nice neat tip. But, you could also just use the white fabric paint that you previously made and apply it on with a paint brush.)
5. Make some stars cross shaped to look like they're twinkling. Remove painter's tape. Then, let your masterpiece dry overnight.
Voila! Now you've got your very own galaxy. Open this baby up on an icky rainy day and you're guaranteed to feel better.
(Psst- Wanna see another painted umbrella? Check out my "rain, rain, go away" umbrella.)
Have fun creating your own galaxy!
UPDATE 8/26/13- I've now taken this umbrella out a couple of times and the paint is fine. Phew. The only problem that I have with this umbrella is that the insides are now a bit sticky, so the umbrella is a bit more difficult to open.