Kids Calder-Inspired Art Sculptures
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support!
In case you're looking for some great art books to go along with this activity, here are...
Our current 20+ favorite art books:
- Colorful Dreamer
- The Iridescence of Birds
- Modern Art Adventures
- Mix it Up
- Press Here
- Any Ed Emberley Book
- The Day the Crayons Quit
- Beautiful Oops
- Dog's Colorful Day
- Too Much Glue
- Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Day with No Crayons
- Artist to Artist
- Artist Ted
- The House Baba Built
- A Blue Butterfly: A Story of Claude Monet
- Sandy's Circus
- A is for Art
- The Artful Parent
- This Bridge Will Not Be Grey
- Art Workshops for Children
I shot a video generally showing how to make one of these sculptures.
Calder-Inspired Paper Sculptures from Pink Stripey Socks on Vimeo.
But in case you like to read directions, here they are!
1. Cut out a rectangular piece of paper. I used construction paper, which stood up fine at home, but fell down with any bit of wind. If you want to make these sturdier, use cardstock (Optional: Decorate it with markers!)
2. Fold it in half.
3. Make cuts like pictured. Cut lines and curves until they almost reach the fold.
4. Optional, decorate with groovy circle stickerrs.
5. Open it up and fold the strips to the front or back in an alternating fashion. (This will help the sculpture to balance.) So on the left side you would fold the strips (starting from the top) front, back, front, back, and front. And on the right side you would fold the strips (starting from the top) back, front, back, front, and back.
Once you get the basic design down, you can play around with your cutting ... like I did below!
It's really neat seeing all of these guys standing up!
They're kinda addictive to make... and I hope you try making them with your kids too!
If you liked this paper art project, you'll like these other ideas as well!
- Easy Matisse Murals
- 3d Twisty Snakes
- Woven Paper Banner
- Jasper Johns Wall Art
- Slinky Paper Garland
- Paper Net Garland
- Kirigami Flowers
- Kirigami Stars
Let's keep in Contact!
Happy making, friends!